Tuesday 22 September 2009

Enough Blu to make a monster a pair of trousers.. well isnt that Nice!




We are avid DVD fans chez nous. Friday night is DVD night, I like to pretend it comes from living miles from the nearest cinema but fear it is more likely to be laziness and having family members too tired at the end of the working week to move further than our own saggy but comfy furniture. It's a good time to slouch on the sofas and eat homemade pizza, drink fizzy drinks (only drunk for special treats in our house, oh aren't we wholesome!) and to slob it. My excuse is that we don't watch TV the rest of the week so hey ho what is one night and I can always pretend we are indulging in moden culture ( and of course I am helping all those souls on Amazon Market place shift their old DVD collecitons!



Sadly some of the fun has gone out of movie watching since our old, and it must be said very cheap, DVD player has started playing games of its own. It is fine and dandy
with brand new, sealed in the box, DVD's but try and watch anything a second time and it sulks pitifully. It freezes, bumps, stutters and grinds to a halt mid sentence and always in the interesting bits. I think it may be in league with my Skype and Windows Live as I can only get sound or vision but never the two together on those either.



Monsters Inc has got to be an all time classic for our boys, even without big sister here to recite the entire script on long car journeys the boys conversation is still punctuated with quotes from it.

If you havent seen the movie ( have you been living in an enclosed religious order or dropped in from Mars? Everyone has seen it !!) here is a link to amuse you and another one too .



Now it's coming out on Blu-ray and I think as our old copy is jumping and pixelating and generally not behaving we may well have to invest in a copy PDQ and a Blu Ray player to go with it! I am relaibly informed that
I will "notice the benefit of the Blu-ray format, known as ‘magic in high definition’. and the picture quality is far superior to that of a DVD and the capacity for interactive extras is greater " Which means basically you get more to play around with, and what is more...

"Blu-ray players are ‘backwards compatible’ which means you can watch your old DVD’s on them too – so if you do decide you’re ready to upgrade from your DVD player you won’t have stacks of unwanted DVD’s lying around!" which would be a god send as although old DVD's make excellatn bird scrers in a veggie patch we would need to go into agriculture prdcution on a vast scale to resue our odl DVD collection that way!




The question is will my Skype start working properly if I buy a Blu ray player? We can only live in hope!


14 comments:

  1. What a very nice new place to come.
    Have never heard of Blu-Ray so no help there. Do the French know about it, given that they are often several months, technologically, behind?

    ReplyDelete
  2. now Harry is the one to ask about blu-ray / dvds, his room is full of them, dvds that is

    ReplyDelete
  3. ED, are you being funny ? The French have only just discovered DVD's! Mind you I saw an offer form Amazon.fr for Blu Ray player and Dvd's for slightly less than the national debt of a small country so perhaps there is hope yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love new technology, I love to see High Definition ( unless of course its in my make up mirror) what I hate is having to read the flippng instructions which has be translated from several different languages and bare no resemblance to the machine that is sitting in front of me. No I love new technology but I would dearly love to have a geek to go with every new machine, keep him in the cupboard under the stairs and bring him out every time it goes wrong

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear, our DVD player is still in its box.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I posted and it disappeared. Bum! In a nutshell could I come to yours on Friday nights - sounds brilliant. Himself doesn't like watching films so there are loads I need to catch up with - er including Monsters Inc

    ReplyDelete
  7. sorry, monster inc unknown around here, only hibrow admitted chez friko. give me a nice murder mystery any friday night! I might even break open the pringles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. we watch shameful amounts of stuff on DVD - usually old TV stuff as can do an episode at a time when too late to start a film. And no ads. Bliss. The backwards compatibility bit sounds great, that's always the bugger with new technology, your old stuff, carefully garnered, is redundant. Nice new blue blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the idea of Friday night DVD night. Had a lovely evening last night with a takeaway curry (extremely rare occurrence here, but I forgot to do any shopping) and DVD of Diary of a Country Priest. Unfortunately we are reduced to v small, v old TV, which makes subtitles difficult. Fear it will be several decades til we succomb to blu ray or HD.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I liked your post. My DVD player acting up, I usually watch DVDs on my computer, but that's no good for the kids. Your post reminds me I must get mine fixed. Thanks for visiting and for your nice, consoling comment!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's been a while - just dropping by to say hello!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Although we have a DVD player I haven't watched a DVD at home for yonks. But I do enjoy them in someone else's house or an holiday. But it would be good to watch a film once a week. Especially if it was a good film!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't know if you read comments on old postings, but I just found you via your comment on Mountainear's blog. Thanks for the info about Blu-ray. I had wondered about it. When Julie & Julia came out on dvd there was a lot of talk about how there were so many extras on the blu-ray version. Now I know why. Is blu-ray automatically high-definition or do I need to get a high def tv for that? Anyhow, now I'll go back to your newer postings, but was so pleased to read this.

    ReplyDelete